How To Tell

Wednesday, April 02, 2003

How to tell if you have an exceptionally large vocabulary, part the first:

If you use the term "pyrrhic victory" during normal conversation, and the conversation isn't actually about the term "pyrrhic victory", your vocabulary is exceptionally large, perhaps unnecessarily so.

here's a scenario where someone might use the term: (note that I will flex my mighty vocabulary muscle a bit here.)
Usage of the term "pyrrhic victory"
"So, I was playing warcraft 3 against a friend of mine, and he was obviously better than me, but my forces were holed up in a well-defended position, and I controlled most of the gold mines on the map. I decided to play it as a war of attrition, sending small parties of high-damage units to force him to waste the rest of his gold defending against me. Little did I know, he had amassed an army in a remote corner of the map, and he caught me unawares with a full assault. I still had adequate defenses to hold him off for a while, and I was able to generate a good number of defenders, so I fought him off pretty well until he managed to cripple my forces with a clever flanking maneuver. I still had enough fighters and defenses left to make it a hard fight, and although I knew I was sunk, I did my best to make sure his victory was a pyrrhic one."

Ok, kudos if you understood every word in there, double-kudos if you've actually said "pyrrhic victory" at some point, triple-kudos if you thought "hey, warcraft 3 doesn't allow large enough armies to build an effective flanking attack." and uber-kudos if you corrected my grammar as you read.

current music: "Uviol" by autechre. man, those guys like giving songs names nobody can remember.

0 comments: