Monday, September 02, 2002

Well now, THIS sucks.

Ok so, I went and upgraded my computer. Took the big step. Went from a k6-2 500 with 320 megs of lowly sdram to a anthlon xp 2000+ with 256 megs of asskicking ddr ram. this damned thing runs like a scalded dog. only problem is: it runs like a scalded dog on the freeway, meaning it dies a lot. I have no idea why, but this thing has been flakier than raisin bran since I put it together. it reboots whenever it feels the need, it gives me many wonderful and exciting blue screens of death. ("page fault in nonpaged area, wtf is that supposed to mean?"), and it isn't heat related, or stupid software related, or even voltage related. I run a little monitor program, and the thing can be running super cool with stable voltage, and I'll go to open a window or something and *poof* - reboot. to add insult to injury, when it does the castors-up macarena, I don't have mouse or keyboard when I get back into windows. no idea why. I just don't. although, resetting during post after a random reboot fixes it. I'm stumped. so, I'm going to dig up my old video card when I get a chance and see if it's my video card. It might be the video card. All, well, most of the lockups and reboots seem to hinge on me doing something that involves more video muscle than normal, and the video card has been flaky since day one, when it would sometimes power down the video for no reason at all.

Although.... daaaaaaaaamn gta3 runs good on this thing. until it reboots. and warcraft 3 runs smoov as silk with all the options on high. so I'm really happy with it when I don't want to chuck it out in the freeway...

0 comments: